Thursday, July 2, 2009

Notes from Teds words at dads funeral

Ted just jotted down a few notes. He printed them off for me to post here. He said that as he was talking, he kinda went off course and left out a big chunk of what he had prepared.
anyway, here's the notes to share and have for us in the blog book.

I am very happy to be here with all of you today.
I have always loved Big Ron.
How could I not? Ron had an endearing personality, a great sense of humor and a warm heart. I think he looked at me like the son he never had. He certainly treated me that way.

The whole thing has been an incredibly moving experience for me. I find myself a little surprised at the gaping hole that Ron's passing has left in my life. My relationship with him really kind of snuck up on me over time.

Big Ron is my father in law to be sure.
But over the years he has also become my political accomplice and debate buddy, my former employee, my confidant, my motorcycle sidekick, my trading partner, I'm pretty sure he's the only sauerkraut ally I have, my comic relief, my sous-chef, one of my biggest supporters, my example and my friend.

On several occasions Ronald & I have discussed this day and he gave me an assignment each time. Most of the time, I wasn't really willing to dwell on the subject too much but one day I asked him "what do you want me to say?" He said "just tell them where I am and what I'm doing." That's not a lot of detail but I think I understand his request. He wants me to explain his belief, which is my belief, about why we are here and I'm going to do that.

The first point is that there is a purpose to this life. We are not here by accident.

We worship God as the almighty ruler of heaven and earth. He is our Father in Heaven. We lived with Him as spirits before we were born. We are His children and belong to His eternal family.

He loves us and wants us to achieve true, eternal happiness. To enable us to become like Him, our Father in Heaven prepared a plan that allows us to come to earth and receive a physical body.
This life is a time of testing to see if we will keep His commandments.
Having no memory of our pre-mortal life, we must learn to act by faith.
He gives us commandments, through prophets, Scriptures, and influence of the Holy Ghost to point the way.
We will be held accountable for our decisions and actions.
We experience difficulties, trials and temptations. By overcoming them through faith in His Beloved Son we develop many of the characteristics of our Heavenly Father.
The sins we commit make us unworthy to dwell in the presence of God. But because He loves His children, our Heavenly Father sent His Son, Jesus Christ, to redeem us. The Savior fulfilled the will of the Father and voluntarily suffered and gave His life to pay for our sins.
Through His Resurrection, He overcame physical death so that we can again obtain a physical body after our death.
His suffering, death, and Resurrection are called the Atonement. To enjoy here in mortality and hereafter, all the blessings that come from Christ's sacrifice, we are to accept Him and live according to His example and teachings.

In all my religious discussions with Ron, one thing I am sure of is his deep and abiding love for Jesus Christ. he was truly a disciple.

On Sunday morning, I woke up early with Donna knocking frantically on my bedroom door saying that something was wrong with Ron.
We called 911 and started trying to revive him with CPR until the paramedics came. I was barking out orders and trying my best to revive him. While I was doing chest compressions, I got the distinct impression that Ron was with me in the room and telling me that is was his time and to not worry about continuing. Of course, I did anyway.

The stress and worry of the moment is so different from the scene at our house just a couple hours before.

Ron spent the day with people that he loved doing things he loved to do. We ate at his favorite restaurant. One of his dear relatives just happened to be passing through and was with us. He spent some time listening to him play the piano. He spent some time learning how to facebook. He called it crap and said it was difficult for him but he did it! He tried sushi for the first time and actually liked it! We listened to old recordings of my children singing. He said he could listen to it all night.

A couple of days before that, we spent several hours in the kitchen cooking. Actually, he said he was the sous-chef and he was helping ME cook. He kept saying, "I'm the helper."

Before he went to bed, he came into my bedroom and sat down next to the bed. He just wanted to talk a little. He actually did the same thing the day before. That wasn't common for him. He never came into my bedroom, much, before.
Anyway, he just wanted to talk about the difficulties I was having with my business and about life in general.
I expressed my concerns in a general way and we talked a little about my family. We talked a bit and eventually he got up and left to go to bed.
A couple of seconds after he left, he came back in the door and said
"I wanted to ask for a blessing on you and on your business tonight but I don't understand the problems well enough to know what to ask."
He has never said anything like that before and I said
"Ron, it's enough for me to know that you are asking. God knows what I need." He seemed satisfied and left. Those are the last words he said to me.
I thought, at the time, that he was going to say a prayer for me. Perhaps he knew he would actually be making the request in person!

What is death?
It is simply what happens when the ETERNAL SPIRIT leaves our mortal body.
When Ronald died, his spirit left his physical body. The body becomes inanimate and is buried but the spirit goes to the spirit world where we are received with a loving embrace by friends and family.
Ronald's reunion with his family must have been a glorious and happy moment.
All who are in the Spirit World await the Resurrection and Judgment.
There is activity in the spirit world.
One of those activities is that the gospel of Jesus Christ is taught to all who died without hearing or accepting Jesus Christ and His gospel, as stated in the scriptures.

This is where Ron is and this is what he is doing.

I also know that he is mindful of us now that he is close at hand to help us with this difficult transition.
Particularly his wife Donna who was his help meet for so many years. They truly loved each other and that love will not die. Someday they will be reunited, never to part again.

None of this was an accident.
He knew why he was here and what was important. He knew there was a plan.

Ron wasn't with out his weaknesses. In fact I was his partner in crime on occasion.
Hells Angels Harley Testosterone Ride to the Jazz game.
Isn't it funny the things you remember?
An endearing sweet man that I will never forget.

The apostle Paul promised to the Philippians in the new Testament:
At times of sorrow and parting one may experience that "peace...which passeth all understanding"
That is a very private experience. Many have come to marvel in their hearts that such a feeling of peace, even exaltation, can come at the time of such grief and uncertainty;
but it is the sure knowledge of Jesus Christ and his plan of salvation that gives us comfort.

There is a plan and God is in control.
This is my testimony.

4 comments:

sandyseashells said...

God is in control.
And I find comfort in that.
I'm so thankful, that over the last 2-3 years, I got to spend alot of time with my mom and dad.
We had fun, laughed, traveled together, and talked about life. He listened, and understood me more than ever. We were very close. My mom and dad not only love each other deeply, they really like each other!
Thanks for those reassuring words Ted.

Jen said...

Great talk. I heard from more than one person that Papa's funeral was the best they had ever attended. I think, mostly, as Krista's mom-in-law said, it was because Papa is a great man. I also think because those of us there and those of us speaking had so much to say about him because of the way he made sure he was an active support in your life.

Pedaling said...

i often noticed, especially over the last 2-3 years how sweet you were with both mom and dad, sandy.
isn't it great to know that, no regrets in that area anyway.
at least that's how i feel.
so glad we were close to mom and dad- helping, being with and just enjoying their company.
that's a good thing for us all to remember....don't take time for granted. get things in order, live well and happy....together....eliminate the drama and crap from life and just love one another, be there for one another.

Anonymous said...

Ted spoke the words that Ron wanted him to say to his family and friends. I am glad that they had the opportunity to get to know one another so well. I know Ron was pleased and so was I. The music, the speakers, and most scriptures were chosen by Ron. His loving wife, his four daughters and their husbands and their children,(his grandchildren and their spouses) and his great grandchildren, brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews and many friends were there for Ron and his family. The Church presiding priesthood leader and bishop were there representing The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Their presence was imporrtant to Ron. All who participated in one way or another honored Ronald and consoled his family. This included veiwing visitors, words of comfort, beautiful flowers, cards, servers, food and charity donations and whatever your part-- Thank You. Thank you for loving my Ron. With love Donna (Mom, Grandma, Sister, Aunt and Friend)