Friday, July 3, 2009

post sent from Jennifer O.

I thought I would send & add a few things that you might find interesting to post on Papa’s blog. I got Papa to answer some questions a couple of years back as I was starting to do more family history research so that is where I got this info from.
Bob Mac (first row, non-wrestler), I believe is the water boy. I don't believe Grandma was dating the other boy in street clothes who's name in the photo is Pete.

A few facts about Papa’s high school wrestling career. Many of us know he was an Indian Hall of Fame Wrestler, but I don't know if many of us know why. We'll here goes:

Washington High School, East Chicago, Indiana

Freshman Year- 103 lbs-Conference Champion

Sophomore Year-120 lbs-Conference Champion

Junior Year-127 & 138 lbs-State Runner-up in 127 lbs and State Champion at 138 lbs

Senior Year-138 & 147 lbs-Conference and State Champion at 138 lbs

**I never verified why Papa wrestled in 2 weight classes but I know from Dan that often a wrestler will do this when the teams doesn’t have a competitive guy at that weight division. Helps earn points to have every weight class filled with a wrestler.

7 comments:

Pedaling said...

thanks jen.
i am so glad you have taken the time to get and record and remember this information.
it has been such a blessing to our family.

sandyseashells said...

He is the "Best Lookin" guy.
As the kids would say now,
"He's HOT!"

sweet older sister said...

I always thought our Dad was the "Best Looking" too! When you look at the photos he really does stand out.

Jen said...

Feel free to edit my posts for typos and goofy sentences. Seriously, I need to give back my degree. :)

Pedaling said...

jen, you just sent that over as a casual e-mail, probably thinking i'd just type it up---i was lazy and in a hurry and just cut and pasted.
sorry.
and i am not the one you would want doing your editing, anyhow. :)

but, my dad
he lived a good life here on earth.
he worked hard and tried hard and really made a difference....that's important. i'm proud of him.
i love him.
and i miss him.
but i sure like reading all that he left behind while we wait.
i'm so glad all my kids knew him.
some of my friends have not had that in their lives.

Gram said...

You did a good job, Jen. I am glad that you got that information from Grandpa. I think you should help me sort through his papers and continue to put the pieces together in an organized time frame and get "the rest of the story!".

Jen said...

Grandma, you know I would be happy too. I've been wanting to get my hands on his stuff for years would only get piecemeal here and there when he was in a "talkative" mood.

Robyn and I were swapping stories just last night about the stuff Papa would tell us about his family. I had no idea Uncle Jack had health problems as a young boy but Robyn knew and I need to start writing these things down and let you make sure I've got it correct!